Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Welcomed Intruder

I love to watch hawks hunt over the brushlines, pastures, and fields. Below is what I think is a juvenile Harris hawk. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Whatever he is, he spent a morning doing fly-bys of our back porch and patio. What a sight!. . . . and then we realized that he seemed to be "hunting" Red, our little cocker-weinie (cocker spaniel - daschund mix). The hawk perched in a mesquite tree watching Red, who was industriously working the bed of aloe vera below (she's quite the lizard hunter).
When Red tired of lizards and headed to the pasture, the Hawk took flight - at one point swooping down and hovering over Red for a closer look. Thankfully Hubby was right and Red was way too big for this hawk to mess with (thanks Aunt Coco and Grandma Dodie for all the treats).

It was a beautiful day for flying!

3 comments:

Susan Tomlinson said...

Those red wings sure look like a Harris hawk.

Hmmm, I think if I were Red and that hawk kept hanging around, I guess I'd take up eating large amounts of food to look even bigger. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with that hawk Mary Beth but I sure know what it's like to have one casing my backyard! They are incredible hunters tho aren't they? You have to respect that. Great photos and sighting!

Anonymous said...

I love watching all birds, and would love to see a hawk around here sometimes. It is a beautiful bird.

Jan
Always Growing