Friday, April 6, 2012

The Vegetable Garden in April

It may just be early April but we are already getting summertime temperatures - it hit 97 at our home yesterday.

This limits what can be planted in the vegetable garden. Here is my list of vegetables that I will still plant from seed: cantaloupe and honeydew melons, corn, cucumber, okra, peppers, summer squash and zucchini, and watermelon. Ideally, squash is planted in early spring because it is so susceptible to downy mildew.

My husband, the farmer, tells me that some of his friends are just now planting butternut squash. I didn't even know that we could grow butternut squash in the valley - and would have guessed they were a winter crop. I may have to find some empty space and try it out. Butternut squash is a 100 day crop so we will see.

If you want to put out vegetable transplants, it's still a good time for that.

I usually plant 4" pots of herbs But if you want to plant seeds, April is a good month to plant cilantro, garlic, mint, rosemary, dill, and rue.

The flower seed that I'll continue to plant are zinnias, marigolds, coneflower, fancy sunflowers. Most of these make great cut flowers and I enjoy adding them into the veggie and herb gardens.

No comments: