Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tree Groupings

Recently I've noticed that the birds seem to prefer  groups of trees over one lone tree in the middle of lawn.   Or, maybe it's me that prefers to hang out there, so I notice more birds.   Anyhow, it has changed how I am thinking about the tree cover in our yard.   We are focusing on tree groupings.   We already have two groupings established - by that, I mean that the canopy is continuous from tree to tree.  This is our next area to work on.  

If you look really, really hard, you can see six teeny-tiny trees that I got my sweet hubby to plant.   I finally gave up on bringing in some big trees.   I mean, we grow them professionally, we sell them all over the state, I don't know what I was thinking when I thought I could get a few installed in  our yard  . . . .  it's like the cobbler's kids who have no shoes.   But, I regress . . . .  

This grouping contains Texas red oak, eucalyptus, and cedar elm.   There are some gorgeous eucalyptus trees on the King Ranch and I've been wanting to try a few.    Surely if they grow there strictly on rainfall, they will grow here.   I love the height (a good 40 or 50 feet tall) and the mottled, flakey trunks.   They are flanked by established huische and mesquite.   In another 10 or 15 years, this should be a nice spot for our feathered friends to hang out.  

I wasn't quick enough to get a picture, but yesterday morning, a cardinal was perched in one of these tiny trees.   As I watched, it fluttered over and checked out two others.  Maybe we won't have to wait another 10 or 15 years after all.  

No comments: