I don't remember, but that little cactus must have been rootbound because once it got its roots into a larger pot of soil, it grew . . . and then
grew some more. Within a few months, it looked like this.
The cactus was taking over.
Time to re-pot and this cactus is COVERED with LONG spines. First things first . . . I am using a new terra cotta pot so it needs a good soaking. If I omit this step, the clay will suck all the moisture from the potting mix. Instead of watering continually post-planting, I'd rather just soak the pot pre-planting and then water normally.
The first time that I transplanted the cactus, a piece of folded newpaper was the only tool I needed. It could work again . . . Well, the newspaper hack was helpful to hold the cactus while I added more potting mix. To actually remove it from the pot, I ended up taking it to the lawn and very carefully removing it with a shovel. (Hand tools didn't keep even a gloved hand far enough away from those spines!) There were actually three cacti growing together so I split them up and shared with a friend.
And the finished product It has room to grow BUT I will be happy to let it become rootbound. I sure don't want it to get too big for me to handle!
I wish I knew what this little guy is. But as it grows and blooms, maybe I'll be able to identify it. Frankly, I'm not very good with cacti.
Post a Comment