Monday, June 2, 2008

A Sign that Composting is Becoming Mainstream?

I opened the paper this morning to read the AP story about a young man in Iowa arrested with several bags of marijuana, Cannabis sativain, in his possession. His explaination was that he was going to compost all the leaves. It was just his recycling - and I'm rooting for him to get off and get back in the garden! Frankly, I had not considered growing a crop solely for compost fodder. We grow cover crops to set nitrogen and to loosen up our heavy soils - so why not for additional folliage for the compost bin. In all seriousness, I was pretty tickled that a garden related article was included in the front section of my local newspaper. And when composting is used in a person's criminal defense, you know that composting is becoming mainstream.

No comments: