Saturday, July 17, 2010

Pre-planting Planting

It is still too wet to work any soil - in fact, I would probably do more harm than good if I tried to do anything in my weed-filled vegetable beds.  BUT that doesn't keep us from "pre-planting" some seeds.    With the assistance of a very meticulous three year old, we got alot done.
Some items we chose to plant, will benefit from the additional time - cauliflower, eggplant, tomatoes, broccoli, and I'm trying some artichokes this year.  Others went into the seed trays because that what my helper wanted to plant - marigolds and a wild flower mix.    We usually sow those directly into the ground but  the landscape beds are all heavily mulched, and that makes sowing seed a little trickier. 

I know I don't need to say this but the most important thing to do after planting in seed trays is to water daily until the seed sprouts.  Give the trays a light sprinkling.  There is such a small amount of potting mix in each cell that they dry out quickly.   The wind is also drying so look for a protected spot for your seedlings.   I'm lucky - we're able to keep them in the shadehouse at our nursery where they'll get sprinkled automatically.
We planted one morning last week.  That same afternoon, my helper was already wanting to go see her plants.   Keep your fingers crossed for good germination!

No comments: